My target audience for this are the grandchildren, children, siblings and friends that are often abused as free tech support. A Non-Commisioned IT Specialist, or NonCommisioned Computer Officer(NCO) is a person who rises through the social ranks as “The computer guy/girl” through nothing but knowledge and exceptional google-fu; without any professional training. Despite this, they are under as much pressure to do their elected job right when their company needs them most, and as much flak when they do not, all without the respect or salary of your standard Computer Officer(CO), who can earn their position without even any experience on the
After coming out as a person
Learning the Generals of Binary Technology(LGBT) you may be approached for buying advise. It is important you give sound advise here; you could be disowned and unfriended if your
ap proachers regret their purchase, and if you don’t advise them at all, you could still be blamed.
The upshot of this is that we LGBT need to work together, as aposed to the vitrolic exchanges that frequently take place on Disqus and YouTube.
My contribution is to make a series of posts to target all those objectively wrong opinions that plague the world of “computer people”, you know, the ones which aren’t mine. Jokes aside, I will try to make these as unbiased as possible, I encourage anyone to speak up if they disagree with me.
The thing about opinions is that they are built on top of values, and values differ between people and their situations. So when you try to apply an opinion formed in someone with different values in a different situation, it could be like stuffing a square peg through a round hole(square pegs master race!); the round hole will yell at you.
Because of this, it is essential you base your advise around your enslaver’s situation and values.
Desktop gaming vs Laptop gaming
I see a lot of people upgrading to gaming laptops without considering a desktop simply because they already have a laptop and it’s familar territory. In terms of value for money, this is a very bad choice — the fact that Alienware exists at such a popularity proves this.
The only real benefit laptops have over Desktops is that they are portable, and I think people over value this benefit. I prefer my expensive, delicate computer hardware kept in an immobile, well ventilated case, behind a locked door.Can you easily imagine yourself spending a significant amount of time gaming outside the house where a portable console, or phone would not suffice? If you can, great. But I’d imagine there are a lot of gaming laptop owners who rarely use it where a Desktop would not work better.
Time to find a laptop to enter the ring. I generally don’t spend much time in the world of laptop hardware , and I find the majority of tech sites that show up on google to consist of speculation, weak opinion and weird values, so I will probably use Reddit. I find it neccessary to present the first paragraph after a laptop intro where there is a graph detailing a 15% difference in average keyboard temperature on the top google result for “budget gaming laptop” while being a pretty minor point, he makes out as if a warmer keyboard is a bad thing, which it isn’t really. As the source of all love and life always says: “Better out than in.”[video(reinactment)]
So to find a good, budget gaming laptop to compare with, I instead took to reddit.
Hillarious mis-use of less-than and greater-than aside, my gaming laptop of choice is the
Sager NP8657s, from here and here(I gave up on the whole low budget thing)
Now for a desktop, I have picked this. I recently built a desktop using all of those parts(except for the case and monitor/keyboard), and I can assure you the parts aren’t just good on paper.
|CPU||FX 6300(6 core, 3.6GHz, 3x 2mb l2, 8mb l3)||i7 Skylake 6700HQ(4 core, 2.6GHz, 4x 256kb l2, 6mb l3)|
|GPU||Radeon R9 390(8GB VRAM, 1GHz clock rate)||GeForce GTX 970M(3GB VRAM, 1~GHz clock rate)|
|RAM||16GB DDR3||16GB DDR4*|
|OS||Windows 10||If you pay more :L|
It appears the desktop beat the Sager by a good bit. Let’s see the full story though. Here are some things to take into consideration(Uncategorized to avoid bias)
- *For the desktop to upgrade to DDR4 RAM as fast as the laptop’s, I’d use this, which is currently $8 cheaper, and slower. It’s worth noting that the mother board I picked can’t support DDR4 though.
- Looking at Benchmarks(FX 6300, i7 6700HQ) the laptop’s processor is a bit better, Megahertz Myth
- Both CPUs should work fine with virtually all the AAA games out there, GPUs are way more important nowadays.
- I will be testing this for myself later, I don’t trust these benchmarks fully utilized the 6300’s 6 cores
- The desktop is currently $219 cheaper(Please correct me if you find anything for less)
- This is not including the price of a sound system
- Desktops are highly modularized, so parts can be upgraded, replaced and borrowed.
- Someone who won’t be named for his own safety in public argued that “You have to replace desktop hardware”. Desktop hardware doesn’t age differently than any other hardware, you CAN replace Desktop hardware — but you don’t have to.
- Building a desktop is like following lego intrusctions, but you have to be competent enough to appreciate that things can be delicate.
- While you may rarely need to use your laptop on the move, the only alternative when you are on the move is one of those fandangled smart phones.
- Desktops are more ergonomic; the optimal monitor/keyboard relationship is impossible
- Desktops CAN be more egonomic, but that doesn’t mean they are.
- 80% better and cheaper(minus the price of a sound system/pair of headphones)
- I spent weeks compiling that list of parts because I actually bought the parts. I spent very little time in comparison finding a good laptop, there could be better value ones out there.
- Because they are being moved around all the time, laptops can suffer a lot more wear-and-tear depending on how careful you are.
Laptops if you need something portable, Desktops otherwise.
This is pretty obvious, but Desktops are perhaps up to twice the value for money, so it is very important those apes hounding you for advise leave their likely comfort zone in portable technology and get a REAL computer. It is also important it is home built, which is something that could take some persuading(you’ll probably also end up doing this yourself)